If you’ve always wanted to grow your own food but don’t have a lot of space, then backyard aquaponics are made for you. By reading this next aquaponics diy guide, you’ll exactly know everything you need, to start off your aquaponics backyard :
It’s a fact, our health comes before everything. We pay more attention to the content of our plates. Vegetables and fruits are now part of a very methodical selection of food quality. Unfortunately, production costs and pollution are largely responsible for the poor quality of the food we buy in supermarkets. Pesticides and GMOs also contribute to this deterioration. Ask your grandparents, they will tell you that their food has evolved… sadly, in the wrong direction.
Fortunately, some practices have made their appearances. They helped, a little bit, improve quality once lost. For example, organic food is increasingly bought. Now, the freshness of vegetables is essential, and for this reason, a new type of farming has emerged: Aquaponics.
For more information : Aquaponics vegetables
What is Aquaponics?
Behind this name, hides a fabulous natural process of plant breeding, most economical and most advanced of our times.
Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture (raising aquatic animals) and hydroponics (growing plants above ground with the nutrient solution).
Aquaponics is based on an ecosystem formed by:
- Fish whose emissions of nitrogen and other minerals, are sources of nutrients for plants.
- Aerobic bacteria, transforming these materials into nitrite nitrogen and nitrate assimilated by plants.
- Plants that purify water and use natural mineral nutrients to grow.
- A Single input: fish feed.
What you do is grow fish in a specially designed tank and use the water from the tank to grow vegetables too. This way you develop a type of farming based on interdependence: the fish have clean and fresh water due to the plant roots, while the plants get their food from the fish tank, without yet harming the fish.
For more information : Whats is aquaponics ?
Benefits of Fish
We can ask ourselves: Why specifically the fish?
Simply because fish are the best recyclers in warm-blooded animals, for three reasons:
- They do not need energy to maintain their body heat.
- They excrete nitrogen as ammonium, not urea.
- They produce more muscles than land animals.
To simplify, fish production not only increases to meet the demand, but also for environmental reasons.
The good news is that the aquaponic system endures forever. It does not require much effort, in addition, the investment pays for itself 10 times at the very beginning. The aquaponic system will allow you to produce food for you and your family, or even start a business selling vegetables. These are natural and guaranteed without chemical additives that could harm people, this way you will have a successful production with your aquaponics.
For more information : Best aquaponics fish
There are a lot of advantages such a system can offer you:
- The main benefit from a system like this is the ability to grow fish and plants for consumption in the one system.
- Aquaponic systems use about 1/10th of the water used to grow plants in the ground.
- Aquaponic systems can be incredibly productive.
- When you have you own Aquaponic system, you are independent from the market as you will grow your vegetables from home. A simple place inside the garage can be sufficient to place the fish tank.
- You will no longer have to pay fortunes to benefit from organic food. You’ll have them on your home next to you.
For more information : Aquaponics setup
Aquaponics will change your life if you’re looking for an affordable and convenient way to produce organic and healthy food. Give it a try and see for yourself. You won’t get disappointed.
For more information on your personal Aquaponic system, check out « Aquaponics4You ».